Weird and Wacky Tennis Facts to Impress Your Friends
You may be the world’s biggest tennis fan or just a lover of obscure trivia… no matter which, here are a few odd facts about tennis that you can share to enlighten friends, family and maybe even your favourite expert tennis coach!
- Under regulation scoring, a tennis set will never have a score of 6-5
- The Wimbledon trophy is topped with a pineapple
- Calling a diamond bracelet a “tennis bracelet” was coined when Chris Evert lost hers on the court at the 1987 US Open
- Cotton polo shirts debuted as tennis apparel
- The first shoe designed for playing tennis was the Adidas “Stan Smith”, though the name came several years later)
- In 1968, the Wilson T2000 was the first racket that was not made of wood
- It is legal to hit a tennis ball around the net
- A ball that bounces off the netpost is live
- Tennis courts are generally oriented north-south
If you want to enjoy more tennis, check out your neighborhood tennis courts or the best sports club you can find locally, such as ZSC Academy in Abu Dhabi.